What is the Difference Between MCT Oil and Coconut Oil?
Everyone who has tried their hand at dieting, from seasoned athletes to fathers looking to rid themselves of “the dad bod”, has heard the term “saturated fat.” Our understanding of saturated fats has been that they are to be avoided at all costs.
However, recent research shows that saturated fats from the right sources are an essential dietary staple, and as a consequence of our misunderstanding, they are missing from most western diets.
Thankfully, there are easily found sources of healthy saturated fat in almost every supermarket and health store, namely mct and coconut oils.
So, what is the difference between mct oil and coconut oil?
Well, the difference is the same as that of sugar cane to sugar.
Coconut oil is a source of mct’s (or medium chain triglycerides) which are saturated fatty acids that carry health benefits from improved cognition to increased fat burning.
Essentially, mct oils are a more concentrated source of mct’s than coconut oil.
Categorical differences aside, many of you are probably still asking what is the difference between mct oil and coconut oil as it relates to your diet. The differences mostly rely on your specific diet.
For instance, if you are on a general diet plan that calls to cut back on unhealthy fat sources, coconut oil is a great source of mct’s that won’t break the bank.
On the other hand, serious athletes and dieters with a set goal in mind should stick to concentrated mct oils. This is due to the fact that coconut oils often contain high levels of lauric acid, which has health benefits but is present in unknown quantities and does not provide the same level of more useful mct’s as do mct oils.
In short, the answer to the question what is the difference between mct oil and coconut oil is, not much. Coconut oil is filtered down and concentrated into mct oil, and for the bulk of us, coconut oil will serve just fine.
For the minority of us with advanced dieting techniques or demands, mct oil is more reliably measurable and should be used over coconut oil.
Where to Buy MCT Oil?
You can get MCT online or at a healthfood store. Here are the best selling MCT oils you can buy.
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED - Free of fillers, flavors and additives, Viva Naturals MCT Oil is extracted from fresh, hand-picked and sustainably harvested coconuts. Made in the USA and third-party tested with every batch!
- SUPPORTS WEIGHT MANAGEMENT - Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) don't behave like other fats. Rather than being broken down by pancreatic enzymes, they produce ketone bodies that provide an alternative fuel source for greater fat burning potential. A Paleo and low-carb diet favorite!
- SUPPORTS ENERGY AND MENTAL FOCUS* - Ketones supply your brain with energy when carbs, your body's main source of energy, are limited and not utilized efficiently. Improve stamina and athletic performance naturally with Viva Naturals MCT Oil.
- ODORLESS AND TASTELESS - Anyone with a sensitive palate can enjoy the neutral taste and odorless features of our MCT oil. Substitute traditional oils with MCT oil for homemade salad dressings, sauces and smoothies. A perfect addition to your morning cup of java!
- COFFEE MUST HAVE - Enjoy the neutral flavor and therapeutic properties of our MCT oil in your morning cup of Joe for its long lasting, bulletproof energy. Blend for a smooth consistency and even flavor. Certified Paleo through the Paleo Foundation! Begin with one tablespoon of our MCT oil daily and increase gradually to three tablespoons until your body has adjusted. MCT oil may cause mild intestinal discomfort if too much is consumed at once, particularly on an empty stomach.
- COCONUT MCT IS EASIER TO ABSORB AND DIGEST: We triple filter our MCT to make sure it is the purest, highest quality possible.
- PREMIUM MCT OIL BENEFITS: Our MCT converts into energy faster than other oils, helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and ignites your body's metabolic rate. Build toward your athletic and weight management goals with this perfect coconut MCT. Add to salads, smoothies or coffee for immediate, all day energy!
- GUARANTEED PURITY: Left Coast Performance MCT Oil is 100% Pure and manufactured at a GMP facility in the USA. Each batch is created using a low-heat, time consuming process. Plus, every batch is tested for heavy metals and impurities, meaning that we only deliver the purest, most nutritious MCT Oil that meets our mile-high standards. Comes in our BPA Free, Food Grade PET Plastic Container. UPGRADED: We've upgraded to Coconut MCT only. It's vegan, gluten-free, keto and paleo friendly.
- DIRECT TO CONSUMER SALES ONLY MEANS BIG SAVINGS: We are a small family company that takes pride in delivering the finest quality MCT Oil. Unlike the re-sellers of NOW Foods MCT Oil, this means that we skip the middle man and are not bound by the pricing of big box retailers. It also means that we are able to deliver a premium MCT Oil supplements that would normally sell for well over $30, for much less! You won't find a better price for the quality.
- NEW TO MCT OIL: Start Slowly. Left Coast Performance's MCT oil is ideal for improving mental clarity and suppressing cravings.
- 100% pure oil
- Helps in weight management -
- Thermogenic; spares lean body tissue
- Vegetarian product; a dietary supplement
- Made with 100% coconuts - NOT FOR RESALE -
- Non-GMO Verified alternative to traditional oils, energy and sports drinks
- Burns quickly for sustained energy and beneficial fats
- Packed with nutritious fats that are absorbed directly to the liver
- MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs) FROM COCONUT. 100% Potency. Non-GMO Project Verified. 14 grams per serving. See Supplement Facts for total fat and saturated fat content
- Pure Source, No Palm or Filler Oils, Only from premium coconuts, Flavorless and Odorless, Hexane-free
- 100% MCTs: 14 grams of MCTs (including caprylic and capric acids) per serving. See Supplement Facts for total fat and saturated fat content
- Dietary Supplement Uses: Mix into smoothies, shakes, coffee and other beverages or simply take by the tablespoon.
- Vegetarian, BPA-Free bottle
Where to Buy Coconut Oil?
You can get Coconut Oil online or at a healthfood store. Here are the best selling Coconut Oils you can buy.
- Sourced From Fresh Coconuts for Added Potency - Our oil is sourced from coconuts grown in the fertile volcanic soil of the Philippines. The soil imbues our oil with compounds that support skin, hair, and immunity.
- Purest Form Preserves Nutrients - Each jar is unrefined, organic, and cold-pressed in order to preserve MCTs, silky texture, and pleasant tropical aroma of the coconut.
- Rejuvenates and Moisturizes Skin and Hair - Your skin will glow as our cold-pressed oil penetrates and softens the surface and in the layers below. The MCTs in our oil nourish and strengthen your hair, leaving it shiny and healthy.
- Packed With MCTs for Weight Management - The MCTs in coconut oil help your body burn up adipose (fatty) tissue by increasing the efficiency of your metabolism. Each serving of our coconut oil is bursting with these powerful, weight-fighting compounds.
- Natural Fungus Fighter - The properties of coconut oil help fight candida and yeast, promoting skin and digestion support. You'll have a happy gut in no time!
- RAW COCONUT OIL: Our unrefined coconut oils are not hydrogenated, bleached, refined, or deodorized
- ORGANIC COCONUT OIL: USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, RAW, Certified Vegan, Pareve MK Kosher, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL: This pure coconut oil dietary supplement is an excellent source of healthy fat-burning medium-chain fatty acids for weight loss and management
- COLD PRESSED COCONUT OIL: This virgin coconut cooking oil is among the healthiest dietary oils in the world and delicious for cooking, baking and in smoothies
- SKIN & HAIR CARE: This coconut oil for hair & skin can be used for a deep conditioning hair treatment or natural skin moisturizer
- PREMIUM QUALITY PURE AND NATURAL FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL - It is a fraction of the coconut oil from which almost all the long chain triglycerides are removed, thus leaving mainly the medium chain triglycerides and making it a great MCT oil. It is ODORLESS, COLORLESS and NO GREASY FEELINGS, does not stain and easily washes out of clothing and sheets. Does not become solid like regular coconut oil but keeps all the great properties. It has very long shelf life.
- OTHER USES: Coconut oil one of the most versatile oils. It's used as moisturizer, as private lubricant, in recipes for tooth paste, as lip balm and in coconut shampoo. It's also used as a natural deodorant, for face wash, as hair conditioner, as eye makeup remover, as shaving cream, in sunburn remedies, for massage, aromatherapy and many other household uses and benefits.
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use.
- FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL is also a great carrier for blending with essential oils. It can be mixed with other more expensive carrier oils. It's excellent as a MASSAGE OIL and used in AROMATHERAPY RECIPES.
- GUARANTEE - PURCHASE RISK FREE TODAY with complete peace of mind, if you are not completely satisfied with Majestic Pure Fractionated Coconut Oil, contact us within 60 days and we will refund your entire purchase.
- #1 Selling Coconut Oil in the US for over 10 years
- USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Virgin, Kosher, Non-Hydrogenated, No Cholesterol
- It also has a neutral scent and flavor (versus virgin coconut oil which has a distinct coconut smell and flavor). This makes it ideal for recipes where a coconut flavor is not desired.
- Metabolism Support- Coconut oil provides a source of energy and helps support weight management and metabolism. May be used as a daily supplement for sharp mental focus, and as an athletic endurance enhancer
- Apply our coconut oil to roots and ends of hair for a conditioning hair treatment. Use weekly for radiant looking hair!
- Apply coconut oil to skin as a natural sunscreen, face cream and overnight treatment for everyday skin care. The ultimate food for your skin!
- Use coconut oil in smoothies, stews, soups and more for its natural tropical flavor and aroma. Adds a tasty and exotic element to recipes!
- Certified organic and non-GMO
Disclaimer: I’m not a dietitian or nutritionist, but a health enthusiast, clean eater and ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting partaker. I started this website because I love the keto diet and intermittent fasting lifestyle. My favorite way of eating is to eliminate as many carbs as possible from my diet, eat lots of greens, and real food, forego anything that comes in boxes or is manufactured or produced in a factory or made from chemicals that mean absolutely nothing to the average person. I’m recommending products in this article that have affiliate links and will pay me a small commission if you purchase something to help you along with your keto diet. I always recommend products I think will be beneficial, based on other people’s reviews of the products or my personal research on the efficacy of the product, on your keto diet journey.